POD Self-Store & Van Hire is a division of Pearsons of Duns Ltd, established in 1920.  You can contact us by phone on 01361 885135 - our devoted Van Hire & Storage line. Alternatively call our traditional centre contact number on 01361 882277 and simply ask for Container Storage or Van Hire, or by calling in to our premises at Station Road, Duns during normal office hours.

Our Story

1920

Robert Hogg Pearson moved from Edinburgh to Duns and started a small Coal Merchant business, located in Duns Railway Station.

1945

Bob’s son, Robert Scott Pearson, joined the business to learn the trade.

1957

Bob retired and Robert Scott Pearson, or Bert as he was known over the Borders, took over the family business, building its reputation as Diploma Approved Coal Merchants. 

1960

The depot was relocated to Cheeklaw, Station Road, Duns, across the road from the Railway Station.

1966

Due to the closure of the railway station, the business shop was relocated to Castle Street, Duns. Bert introduced a haulage operation this year.

1980

The business shop moved to Murray Street, Duns.

1982

Monty Pearson (youngest son of Bert) returned to Duns to work in the business, after 15 years working in Edinburgh. He gradually expanded the haulage operation over the next few years.

1985

Bert retired and Monty took over the family business.

1991

After completing his service in the Royal Navy, Barry (Monty’s eldest brother) joined the firm and trained as Haulage Manager.

1993

A small stove shop was set-up at the Murray Street Shop. However, it soon became obvious the business had outgrown its office and new land was bought for larger premises adjacent to The Cheeklaw Depot on Station Road in Duns. The business is still located here today.

1994

The new shop was built and renamed The Cheeklaw Centre with the addition of a Builders’ Merchant department. 

1996

The Garden Centre and Baytree Café  departments were opened.

1998

The business became a Limited Company.

1999

Two competing coal merchants retired from trade. Pearsons of Duns acquired these companies, which lead to the business opening a depot in Alnwick, Northumberland.

2002

The Alnwick depot was centralised back to Duns.

2003

Garry Pearson, youngest son of Monty, was keen to learn the business early and joined the team part-time at just 13 years old.

2008

The new Builders’ Merchant Centre was constructed and opened.

2010

The haulage business was sold.

2014

Our Stove Installation Service and Bulk Blown Wood Pellet deliveries were introduced, expanding the business yet again.

2015

Garry became joint Director with his dad. This year T.E Swainson and R.D Cowins, two coal businesses in Penrith, were bought by Pearsons. This branch is now known as Swainson and Cowins Penrith.